Recently, I enjoyed a lovely evening with my pal, Nuala. Good food, laughs, memories and wine – always a winning combination.
She was raving about the Carrot and Ginger Soup she had eaten earlier. I’d made Carrot Soup before but the addition of ginger was new. As the teen is a major fan of soup, I decided to give it a go. The verdict? ‘Best. Soup. Ever!’
Carrot and Ginger Soup
2 tablespoon olive oil
1½ lbs carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3 inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
1 medium sized onion, chopped
½ cup fresh orange juice
1 pint good quality vegetable stock
Generous pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to season.
1. Heat oil
2. Fry onion for 2 minutes
3. Add ginger and fry for another 3 minutes until the onion pieces are soft and translucent
4. Add in the carrots and mix until coated with the onion and ginger
5. Cook for a few minutes
6. Add the nutmeg
7. Add the stock and orange juice
8. Bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until the carrots are cooked and soft
9. Season with salt and pepper
10. Place in an electric blender and blend until a smooth liquid
11. Return to the heat and serve immediately.